donderdag 8 mei 2008

Local Patch Birding

I've found an interesting spot for waders (or shorebirds as Americans would call them), very close to my home. Some time ago I saw the place when I passed it in the train. At the time - it was January- I thought the place had good potential for spring migration, and I was right! The place is a small mitigation project created to mitigate the building of houses next to it. The fields were inundated a little and there are some higher and dryer grounds. Although the place is small and there are loads of people and it doesn't look like a nature area at all, there áre birds! In quite a few numbers for such a small area! It's amazing to see what a little water could attract!

Yesterday I saw 5 Temminck's Stint, 8 Little Ringed Plover, 3 Common Greenshank, 4 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Green Sandpiper, 4 Common Redshank, 1 pair of Black-tailed Godwit with 4 very small and beautiful young. The picture above shows one of the five Temminck's stints.

A local patch is a birding place that you make your own. You visit it often and try to figure out all its ins and outs. This place might become my local patch if it stays like this. I will at least try to visit it as much as possible the next few months!

Geen opmerkingen: